In the past years, Ireland has witnessed a significant increase in international students, coming to the green country either to learn English for a few months, to take part in an exchange or to obtain a University Degree.

   Whichever their choice, these students must usually face the harsh reality of bureaucracy and visa applications, which can be quite confusing.


   We want to offer some hints and tips for students who intend to undertake a studying period in Ireland and do not know how to deal with the legal aspects of it.

   Unless you are a member of an EEA state, of one of the states for which a visa is not required or you are related to an EEA national, you will most likely need to obtain a visa before you can travel to Ireland.

   Visa applicants must apply online for their visa. If you wish to study in Ireland for less than 3 months you should apply for a ‘C study visa’. If your course lasts longer than 3 months, you should apply for a ‘D study visa’.

   You will need to provide certain documents with your visa application. You don’t know which ones? Don’t worry, we are here to help you.


   What I have just listed above is a general framework about which type of visa you need to apply for and which documents you will need for the application.

   Here are some more specific pieces of information you might find useful for your visa application:

  1. If you do not need a visa to enter Ireland, you do not need to obtain a study visa either. However, all non-EEA nationals, with or without visas, need to obtain permission to enter the state by reporting to an Immigration Officer.
  2. The visa you receive is a one-entry visa. For this reason, if you want to leave Ireland for a short while and then return, you will need to apply for a re-entry visa.
  3. The standard fees for visa applications are 60 euro for a single journey visa; 100 euro for a multiple-journey visa. However, under certain circumstances, the visa fee does not have to be paid at all.
  4. For non-EEA students coming to Ireland to study, there is the possibility of finding part-time casual employment for a maximum of 20 hours per week in term time or up to 40 hours per week during college vacation periods, that is, from June to September inclusive and from 15 December to 15 January.
  5. Visa applications must be made online.

   If you need more detailed information, don’t hesitate to contact us at Modern Polyglots, either through email, phone or directly in our office.

   We will be more than happy to assist you in every step of your visa application process.






Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s